Re: start ssh port forwarding at boot time

Andrew Schulman wrote:

Oh, and on the topic of automatically setting up ssh port forwarding as
a service: OP should definitely use autossh. This will keep the
connection alive if it drops, automatically restarting it as necessary. Otherwise, the first time it dies the service will stop and the user
must manually restart it again.

I've been doing this (autossh port forwarding) for years and it's
fantastically convenient.

Agreed. I don't do this any more, but I did do it for years, and once it was set up, it automatically started at boot and the port forward was always just there-- I never had to think about it.

/usr/share/doc/autossh-1.4a/README.Cygwin has information about how to set this
up using autossh and cygrunsrv.

Since you're the Cygwin maintainer of autossh, I have a question: shouldn't the service be installed with "-y tcpip"? just like sshd, to avoid problems at startup.

Thanks for the recommendation, I might start using it as well.
--
René Berber