Re: Cygwin, OpenSSH, IPv6.

On Jun 22 12:15, Ren? Berber wrote:
> David Woodhouse wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get the OpenSSH dæmon working on the Windows box
>> my new employer gave me. I followed the instructions at
>> http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html (not quite
>> understanding what the 'mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix' command was

You don't need it and should better revert it to using not just / as
cygdrive prefix.  The default is `mount -s -c /cygdrive'.  Using the
root dir might work, but is not supported.

>> When I edit /etc/sshd_config and uncomment the 'Listen ::' line, I get
>> told 'The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started', and sshd.log
>> says "bad addr or host :: (no address associated with name)'.
>> Was it built without IPv6 support?
>
> Yes, like everything else network related in Cygwin.
>
> But you have a couple of choices, the 1.7 version of Cygwin (not sure about
> the status of IPv6 support)

Cygwin 1.7 contains IPv6 support (self-written btw.(*)) and OpenSSH in
the 1.7 test release is built with IPv6 support as well and SSH over
IPv6 works for me in my local IPv6 setup.  However,
neither the installation process, nor the Cygwin DLL, nor the release
directory are finished yet for production use(**).  Right now the stuff is
only meant for package maintainers.  If you're not faint of heart, you
can override your 1.5 install by using the 1.7 test setup tool
http://cygwin.com/setup-1.7.exe.  However, you have been warned: Things
might not work as expected yet (***).

Corinna

(*)   So I'm proud of having written this myself.  So sue me.
(**)  Most depressively, there's almost no documentation matching the
      "new and improved" taste of 1.7.
(***) http://cygwin.com/#PTC

Red Hat