Re: Fwd: md5sum using Cygwin in Windows

Zheng Li wrote:
| Ben wrote:
|> "The project is geared towards people who understand a UNIX(tm)
|> environment.  If that isn't you, then it's hard to see why you're
|> dabbling with Ubuntu."
|>
|> If I don't understand UNIX, then it's hard to see why I'm dabbling
|> with Ubuntu? Is that a mistype? Did you mean to say that it's easy to
|> see why I'm dabbling with Ubuntu, as it is generally thought to be a
|> newbie-friendly distro? Is there a more approachable way to understand
|> UNIX?
|>
|> It's no wonder that Linux has roughly 1% desktop market share with
|> that sort of attitude. Unfortunately, Ubuntu doesn't even display
|> right on my laptop, so it'll be a while yet before I do understand
|> Linux.
|>
|> - B
|>
|> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Christopher Faylor
|> <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please@cygwin.com> wrote:

|>> It is not important for anyone to know this.

|>> Hmm.  Just got a similar question on irc a while ago.
|>>
|>> Cygwin doesn't use : or \.  Use:
|>>
|>> cd "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Ben/Desktop"
|>>
|>> And, btw, your "newbie-friendly" comment shows that you apparently have
|>> no idea what Cygwin is and possibly have no idea what Linux is all
|>> about.  The project is geared towards people who understand a UNIX(tm)
|>> environment.  If that isn't you, then it's hard to see why you're
|>> dabbling with Ubuntu.
|>>
|>> cgf
|>>

|> --
|>

| Well, if you use linux system in a MS windows style where clicking
| buttons can almost solve everything,
| then you may waste of your valuable times and totally loss your
| confidence on Linux.  You need to
| read a book and just learn it, like what you do in other computer
| lessons.  Linux expects you as a master
| and this assumption may be harmful to newbies. Fortunately, after a
| shape learning line, you can control
| your linux system to do lots of things windows can't do.
| Yours
| Zheng

I don't think that any linux user expects anyone else to be a master of
it but be rather knowledgable about what they are going into prior to
jumping in.  There are some really bad and stupid questions to be had
out there.  I know because I have answered some and only shook my head
while doing so.

- --
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org