bash shell interface broken after install on Vista

I installed cygwin on my new HP Pavilion machine running (ecch!) Vista. I added a few items to the default install parameters (notably vim and file), then started my download.

It got "stuck" about 80% through -- sat at 80% for over an hour.

I cancelled the install, and tried again with a different mirror. This time it got stuck at about 32%.

I tried yet another mirror and finally got a supposedly complete install. Then I started up a bash shell in a command window (using the Cygwin shortcut).

I observe the following two symptoms:

1. Nearly all commands appear to complete without doing anything. This includes "ls", "cat", "vi".
The following commands work properly:
echo
true
false ($? == 1)
dirs
if...then.fi
test

2. exit doesn't exit. Instead, I get the following message:
4 [main] bash 1576 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before initialization, retry 10, exit code 0x1000000, errno 11