Re: bash shell interface broken after install on Vista

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Barry Gold <BarryDGold@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> 1. Nearly all commands appear to complete without doing anything.
> This includes "ls", "cat", "vi".
> The following commands work properly:
>  echo
>  true
>  false ($? == 1)
> dirs
>  if...then.fi
>  test

That I can address: they are shell builtins.  That is, they are
recognized by bash and processed by the bash program itself without
forking or otherwise involving another process.  I find it hard to
imagine that anything in bash could work if those commands didn't.

Since you just installed Cygwin and didn't configure it much, have you
considered just uninstalling and reinstalling from a new mirror?

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd@panix.com