Re: bash shell interface broken after install on Vista

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 02:36:49PM -0500, tmcd@panix.com wrote:
>On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Barry Gold <BarryDGold@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>> 1. Nearly all commands appear to complete without doing anything.
>> This includes "ls", "cat", "vi".
>> The following commands work properly:
>>  echo
>>  true
>>  false ($? == 1)
>> dirs
>>  if...then.fi
>>  test
>
>That I can address: they are shell builtins.  That is, they are
>recognized by bash and processed by the bash program itself without
>forking or otherwise involving another process.  I find it hard to
>imagine that anything in bash could work if those commands didn't.
>
>Since you just installed Cygwin and didn't configure it much, have you
>considered just uninstalling and reinstalling from a new mirror?

The mirror checking software runs four times a day to weed out bad
mirrors.  It's very unlikely that a new installation would have problems
that were due to a mirror.  It is possible that using an old mirror that
is no longer on the list would cause problems but that wouldn't be the
case with a new installation.

Commands which exit silently are usually caused by missing DLLs.
"cygcheck /bin/ls.exe" would tell you which DLL was missing and you could
install the missing packages.

cgf