Re: OpenSSH installation under X64 Vista - can't log in

Paul Keeble wrote:
Jason Byerly <jasonbyerly <at> ymail.com> writes:
I am having a problem similar to that reported by Kevin Hilton at the
following URL:
    http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2007-12/msg00552.html

I have executed the same procedure as Jason and am facing the same problem as Jason and Kevin (along with many other people). The now infamous "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host"

Is there an incompatibility with Vista 64? Any ideas what the fix might be?

I don't have Vista right now so I can't try it. Be that as it may, I'd recommend reading and following the problem reporting guidelines found here:

<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Some bootstrap info may allow others on the list to spot a problem. I also
highly recommend allowing the configuration script to create a new local
account for you.  In addition, start first with a test to see if
you can connect with password authentication.  Public key is more
complicated so it's best to make sure things are basically working before
getting into the nitty-gritty issues of public key authentication.

Holliston, MA 01746