Re: Does anyone use insight on cygwin?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
Does anyone actually use insight on Cygwin?  Keith Seitz, the insight
maintainer, has recently made changes which will allow insight to work
with a non-special version of tcl/tk rather than the hacked version that
it had previously been built with.  That opens the door to building a
real version of tcl/tk for cygwin and linking insight to it.
Unfortunately, I believe that would mean that insight would need to run
in an X window rather than natively.

The other alternative is to nuke insight entirely.  Is anyone really
relying on it?  Since I barely test it when I release gdb, I'd expect
that there would be problem reports but I don't remember seeing any for
quite some time.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering what insight is - it's the graphic
version of gdb available by typing "insight" or "gdb -w".

If you're wondering what gdb is then please just delete this message.
Nothing to see here.

I don't have much to add other than to say I've used insight and will continue to do so. I also could "deal" with it if insight became X dependent, though I share the concerns about that and the state of the X server on Cygwin. Still, it sounds like there's some hope for improvements here so I think having an X-based insight over no insight would be the lesser of two evils. :-) Also ditto about splitting out the package if we're going that route. Perhaps the non-X gdb could have an insight and gdb -w that tells the user to install the X gdb package (a la Ubuntu)?

Holliston, MA 01746