RE: Bizarre Cygwin/Explorer/paths problem half-solved

Hi Luke,

> I discovered today that if I try to run Windows Explorer from
> the Cygwin command line, and give it a pathname with spaces,
> it fails, but if I give the same command line to a cmd.exe
> command line, Explorer works!
>
> I.e. from Bash, explorer fails with an error message like
> "The path '/e,c:\temp\space dir' does not exist or is not a
> directory."
>
> I've tried every quote combo I can.  If I leave off the /e
> option then it does open the directory, but without the side
> pane (which is what you'd expect with the /e option omitted).

I've had this little gem in my .bash_profile for ages, and it's never failed
me regardless of the craziness of the path:

# Easy "Explorer here" command
x()
{
	if [ "${1}" = "" ];
	then
		XPATH=".";
	else
		XPATH="$(cygpath -w "${1}")";
	fi
	explorer $XPATH & disown %-
}

No tree view though.  Lessee what happens if I add a "/e,":

# Easy "Explorer here" command with tree control on the left
x()
{
	if [ "${1}" = "" ];
	then
		# No parameter given, open Explorer in the current bash
directory.
		XPATH=".";
	else
		# Open the given path.