Re: genisoimage and links. Problems?

Sam Hanes wrote:

> Actually, NTFS does support symlinks, but unfortunately that
> capability is not exposed in the Windows GUI. There's a command-line
> tool from SysInternals that can manipulate them.

If you are referring to junctions, they are most certainly not the same
thing as symlinks, for a number of reasons: they only work with
directories; the target can only be an absolute path; they can't cross
partitions.

There is some new symlink support in vista, but obviously that's not
useful to most people at this point.

> It seems to me that it should be possible to make
> Cygwin read the Rock Ridge data from the CD, which should be
> accessible by reading the CD in raw mode. However, implementing that
> would require making Cygwin considerably more aware of hardware than
> it is and thus probably won't happen.

Reimplementing an entire iso9660 filesystem driver in Cygwin?  Yes, I
think "probably won't happen" is putting that mildly.

Brian