Re: OpenSSH installation under X64 Vista - can't log in

Larry Hall (Cygwin <reply-to-list-only-lh <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> Paul Keeble wrote:
> > Jason Byerly <jasonbyerly <at> ymail.com> writes:
> >> I am having a problem similar to that reported by Kevin Hilton at the
> >> following URL:
> >>     http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2007-12/msg00552.html
> >> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
> >
> > I have executed the same procedure as Jason and am facing the same problem
> > as Jason and Kevin (along with many other people). The now infamous
> > "ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host"
> >
> > Is there an incompatibility with Vista 64? Any ideas what the fix might be?

In the end Jason had the fix all along!
On Vista 64 you need to comment the ::1 line in the Windows host file (and I
presume in the /etc/hosts file in cygwin if its different) to get sshd allowing
connections.

There does seem to be a minor incompatibility for the lookup with vista and
cygwin. I can't do ssh localhost even with the workaround in place. However ssh
192.168.y.x works correctly from Putty and from cygwin bash.

It would be nice if this note could be put in the FAQ/manual for now so that
everyone with this problem knows the workaround, at least until a better fix is
found.

Paul