RE: compilation - cygwin -mno-cygwin-flag

 > [Brian] Using -mno-cygwin switches the compiler
 > into MinGW personality mode. You cannot
 > mix and match Cygwin and MinGW libraries.
 > If you use-mno-cygwin then you must ensure
 > that *all* libraries that any component of
 > your software links with were built as MinGW
 > libraries. You can't let any Cygwin libs enter
 > the equation.

Can the ABIs be unifed?
  line up struct stat, or make thin wrappers?
  line up errno.h?
  lineup lseek/fseek flags? (probably already the case)
  use the larger of the two jmpbuf sizes?
  keep FILE* opaque?
    Maybe line up just its size, if stdin/out/err are defined to be
      elements in an array.
  either line up ctype's data, or use real function calls?
  etc.?
  Under a -slightly-slower-but-more-compatible switch?

ABI multiplicity bugs me..

I realize that it might be too late, at least without a "thin translation layer",
and even then. Reasonable for like stat, but not really for errno.h, for example.

 - Jay