Re: sshd [5.1p1] fails on seteuid "permission denied"

J.D. Baldwin wrote:

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:42:46PM -0500, René Berber wrote:
[snip]
I can invoke /usr/sbin/sshd but not log in via same.  I have tried it
with and without privilege separation, with and without re-exec and in
various other permutations.  It always fails on the seteuid call.
[snip]
I can't find a workaround for this. Any ideas?
[snip]

Read the instructions inside: /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README

If you're referring to the ssh-host-config run, I've done that six times, with (I think) every reasonable combination of answers to the config questions. Also ssh-user-config, though that's much less relevant here.

Once probably was enough, if that didn't work you should try to solve that problem not just test randomly.

If you're referring to something else, I wish you'd give me more of a
hint.  Otherwise, I might think the above is a lot like the "you're
not doing it right" non-answers I found when searching on the error
message.

The problem you describe is clear and it means you went with a different kind of installation and are guessing that user Administrator can do anything, it can't.

The ssh-host-config script adds a user with the required privileges and sets up everything so that the process can switch users. That last operation is what you showed as failure on your debug output.

The service installation script works fine on Windows XP but you started your message saying that there are "numerous reports" like yours, which is not true, if you read those reports they are always for Server 2003/2008, Vista or some interference by Virus scanners/Internet security software.
--
René Berber