Fresh install of Cygwin, not working

Can anyone tell me why the latest version of Cygwin will not work?

I have downloaded the complete version from my local mirror, which is on the
mirrors list. When I install, I do not get the X Server icon, or any of the
X applications that normally appear, on my desktop (fresh Windows XP
install).

Nor does the Cygwin.bat shortcut, placed on my desktop after the install,
work. When running from the Windows cmd shell, it reports "Bad command -
bash".

I've tried to download from other mirrors, often with the same result. It
seems that if I want to actually *use* Cygwin, I'll have to see if I can dig
up a version I saved on CD-ROM, because none of the mirrors work anymore.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Oliver.