RE: Bizarre Cygwin/Explorer/paths problem half-solved

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008, Luke Kendall wrote:
On 4 Aug, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
explorer /e,$XPATH & disown %-

Don't try this variant, though, since it doesn't work:

explorer /e,"$XPATH" & disown %-

What happens if you try that innocuous-looking variant is that
Cygwin (or bash?) normalises the path /e,... to a windows path
first, producing \e,...

I'm an utter fanatic about quoting to make sure that what I have in variables isn't munged. So I'm dismayed to learn that quoting can *cause* munging and that something munges values in new and exciting ways.

Is there any documentation on who rewrites arguments, under what
conditions, and how they're altered?

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com