Re: How to replace default bash window with rxvt / bash shell?

CheapLisa wrote:

I want to replace the default cygwin bash window with something where I can
have multiple tabs
or tab like features.  I do not know of any command line commando that would
not want this feature
and hope that in the future something else would be provided by default.

It looks like the best combination is "rxvt" and "screen" used together.

There's other options with real tabs, Terminator is one, another was discussed recently on this list. They all have glitches, I use mrxvt but that one needs Cygwin/X or similar running.

So I was able to crate an rxvt.bat file and create a short cut to it (icon
on desktop)
but when it launches it is not the bash shell nor is it a login shell.

You don't need a batch file, just create a shortcut, edit its properties and put something like:

C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -sl 2048 -geometry +56+616 -e /bin/bash --login -i

in the target field. You may also add a nice icon (for instance C:\Cygwin\cygwin.ico)

When I do $echo $SHELL, I get /bin/sh and when I type $alias, I get nothing
so it has not sourced my environment config files.

That's controlled by the parameters you pass to bash, that's why the "--login -i" is there above.

[snip]
 Also when running the screen command I always get some text and then
instructions
 to press the spacebar/or enter.  That is very nice but how is this
surpressed?

Don't use screen (not recently anyway) but isn't it there a "quiet" option? -- René Berber