Re: Bizarre Cygwin/Explorer/paths problem half-solved

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 01:58:12PM -0500, Tim McDaniel wrote:
That's most unpleasant.  I don't suppose there's any way to control
Cygwin's bash in re where to put double quotes around arguments
being passed to a Windows command (since getting Microsoft to make
explorer.exe be sane is hopeless)?  Except by not using characters
that bash thinks need quoting.

I'd be very surprised if bash was doing anything different for Windows than it does for linux. cygwin1.dll does do some quoting of arguments to non-cygwin programs if it thinks it is required.

Well, *something* had to be adding the double-quotes. It's execve() and such adding them, then?

But, no, we're not going to implement a complicated scheme to turn
that off for random programs.

-- Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com