RE: setup v2.573.2.3: Postinstall: "abnormal exit: exit code=126"

Brian Dessent wrote on 09 August 2008 20:55:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   I'll try and think up a fix for this.  In the meantime, you can work
>
> I'll repeat my previous opinion on this issue: I think the time for
> compensating for the ash -> bash upgrade is over and we should just have
> bash provide /bin/sh directly without the complicated postinstall
> gymnastics.  There was the objection that the current scheme obstensibly
> allows for the user to use any shell as /bin/sh, but I question how many
> people are aware of this let alone desire to take advantage of it.

  AIUI, that's orthogonal to the actual problem going on here.  See the
dependency graph at ...

  ... Hmm, where did my post to the apps list go?  Can't find a bounce
message either... maybe the attached .png made it look like spam.  Ok, then,
see
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7956/setup3dotnb4.png

  The problem is that no matter whether bash or ash install /bin/sh,
terminfo is going to be installed first, and that means
/etc/postinstall/terminfo.sh is pretty much doomed to failure.

  (Also, we shouldn't rename the .sh -> .sh.done if the attempt to invoke it
fails with error 126.)

  We should presumably TITTAL at some point if we're going to keep this
thread going.

    cheers,
      DaveK