Re: setup v2.573.2.3: Postinstall: "abnormal exit: exit code=126"

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 01:31:54AM +0400, Andry wrote:
>Hello cygwin,
>
>>> Hello cygwin,
>>>
>>>   I found 2 missed components which fixes postinstall errors: "ash" and
>>>   "tar".
>>  Yes, I noticed this bug myself just the other day when doing a completely
>>fresh install during setup.exe testing.
>Oh, i fixed this stupid install system problem. You guys should
>definetly rewrite setup, it is madness clicking by these "Skip" items, to
>set or reset something - when i missed it i should go to beginning and
>do it again, OMG.
>
>But here is several things:
>
>1. cygwin setup doesn't check consistency of requested setup.ini file.
>Any crossreference breaking down correct install order. For example,
>"_update-info-dir" component IMHO should postinstall at last, but
>because it set as dependency to many other components, it runs at
>beginning, even before "bash", and becase sh.exe doesn't exist yet, -
>falls in failure. Or, for example, "base-passwd" referenced to
>"cygwin" and vice versa. Setup even doesn't complain it, just run on
>random install order - oh ye, good choice 8-|
>I spent all day to create correct setup.ini manually by myself to fix
>install order for "Install from Local Directory" option.

So, in other words, you redescribing the problem that has already been
identified.  You just wanted to spend a paragraph getting your kick in.

And, unless the packages are doing something odd like moving their
info files around in postinstall scripts, it shouldn't matter when
_update_info_dir is run.

>2. I don't need many things from cygwin, for example, "man" and "info"
>with documentation to each choosed component doesn't needed to run
>configure" from GCC. But setup forced to install these, even in
>postinstall scripts by using "install-info.exe" without checking it
>on existence, and of cause crashing if not. In other words, your minimal
>cygwin requirements is too big (minimal install is about (!) 200MB).

'configure" (sic) from GCC'?  Huh?

You mentioned _update_info_dir.  If _update_info_dir is installed then
install-info.exe is also installed.  install-info *does* need to be
installed to correctly set up the directory file for use by info.

If you don't like setup.exe you are welcome not to use it.  We know that
it is far from perfect.  So go ahead and write your own super version
that does what you want.  We'll even adopt it here if it's good enough.
Or help by contributing patches to setup itself.  Or even just extract
the tar files you need and run the postinstall scripts by hand.

In the meantime, spending time 1) complaining about a bug that has
already been acknowledged and 2) imprecisely describing a what seems not
to be a problem at all, isn't going to do anything other than satisfy
your need to vent in public.

cgf