RE: setup v2.573.2.3: Postinstall: "abnormal exit: exit code=126"

[again as plain text]

________________________________
> From: jayk123@hotmail.com
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com; dave.korn@artimi.com; brian@dessent.net; andry@inbox.ru
> Subject: Re: setup v2.573.2.3: Postinstall: "abnormal exit: exit code=126"
> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 08:35:51 +0000
>
>  [B] From: brian@
>
>  [B] ...I think...and we should just have
>  [B] bash provide /bin/sh directly without the complicated postinstall
>  [B] gymnastics.  There was the objection that the current scheme obstensibly
>  [B] allows for the user to use any shell as /bin/sh, but I question how many
>  [B] people are aware of this let alone desire to take advantage of it.
>
> [D] From: dave.korn@
> [D]  The problem is that no matter whether bash or ash install /bin/sh,
> [D] terminfo is going to be installed first, and that means
> [D] /etc/postinstall/terminfo.sh is pretty much doomed to failure.

 [J]
 I assume Brian wants bash.tar.bz2 to just have a second copy
 of bash at  bin/sh.exe, or a symlink or hardlink,
 unconditionally overwriting whatever is there.
 Rather than having a postinstall program copy it conditionally.

 ?

 And that all the extraction happens before any install code runs. ?

  - Jay