openssh, XP and network drives not working *with* password auth

Hi,

I have a problem which at first seems to have been asked a hundred
times:  How do I access network shares from an ssh session?

The trouble is, everything I found via Google, the Cygwin docs, FAQ
etc. says the same thing:

    It works fine if you login with a password.

    If you login without a password, it doesn't work (unless you jump
    through hoops.)

Unfortunately I _am_ logging in with a password, and still I don't
have access to network shares which are already mounted, nor does "net
use" work.  Nothing I've found says anything about this.

Details:

   - Cygwin was installed for "All users", on Windows XP SP3.

   - I have a user account called 'kvm'.

   - I'm logged in on the desktop as 'kvm', and have a share called
     \\10.1.0.2\vmshare (or \\amilo\vmshare) mapped as drive Z:

   - On the desktop, 'ls /cygdrive' shows 'c' and 'z'.
     I can use /cygdrive/z.

   - Openssh was installed, 'ssh-host-config' run, and all its
     requirements met (change permissions on various things).

   - When I login via ssh to 'kvm' - using a password -
     ls /cygdrive shows only 'c'.
     It's not possible to use /cygdrive/z.

   - Also via ssh, ls // shows //amilo/vmshare.  I can see it exists,
     but I can't enter that directory.

   - net use '\\amilo\vmshare' and variations in the ssh session
     doesn't work.  It always says "System error 5 has occurred".

   - net view '\\amilo' _does_ work - it shows the share I can't map.

I tried changing the user the service runs as from SYSTEM to '.\kvm'
using the Windows Services editor, and restarting it.  That clearly
does something: it required /var/empty's owner to become 'kvm' before
it would start.  (And gives a misleading message saying it must be
owned by root :-).

Any ideas?  The Cygwin FAQ, stuff on ntsec etc. and other people's
mails all say that if I login with password authentication, I'll see
the network shares.  So they don't give any clues what to do when
that's not working.

Several of the error messages I got from ssh-host-config I entered
into Google, and got only a few mails relating to installing on 64-bit
Vista.  My computer is neither 64-bit, nor is it running Vista.
Could it be to do with XP Service Pack 3 (relatively new)?  Curious.

Oh, it's a virtual machine running under KVM, you've probably guessed.
I don't imagine that changing anything though.

Thanks,
-- Jamie