RE: cdargs usage

Robert Bram wrote on Monday, August 11, 2008 1:30 AM:
> The cdargs manpage says:
>   <ENTER>
>       select current entry.
>
> But when I go to cdargs browse or list mode, I exit cdargs but the
> directory hasn't changed. Have I misinterpreted how cdargs works in
> Cygwin?

No, not exactly.  It sounds as if you may have misinterpreted how
cdargs works everywhere. :-)

It seems like your shell doesn't know what directory you have chosen
with cdargs.  A process (e.g., cdargs) cannot by itself change it's
parent's working directory.  The best it can do is to leave the
information (the desired directory) somewhere that the shell can
find.  That is why the cdargs man page includes the following in the
SYNOPSIS.  (You might also read the DESCRIPTION carefully.)

	function cdb () {
		cdargs "$1" && cd "`cat "$HOME/.cdargsresult"`" ;
	}

(Not that I've ever used cdargs ...)

Good luck!

- Barry
  - Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.