Re: Lines wrapping in emails

Angelo Graziosi wrote:
Perhaps this question is not strictly related to Cygwin, but its solution could help Cygwin people.

I have seen that many emails to these lists have long lines that make them unreadable (see [1], for example).

Since this problem could potentially regard me too, I would ask if someone has some solution or can point me to some documentation which fixes the following.

When I use Thunderbird, I seen that even if I have configured it to wrap lines after 72 characters, this does not happen when I read the emails on this list (with Firefox or IE).

For example, the above paragraph has 3 lines, wrapped after 72 chs., when I write it (even maximizing the window), but a single line (or 2, at most) when I read it on the list.

Obviously I have configured to sent and visualize only pure text.

I have searched on the WEB, but not clear solution found.

Many Cygwin users will be grateful to find it!

One thing that works for me is I use this one key, way over to the right side of my keyboard. It's labeled "Enter". It has fallen into disuse and I'm not sure allot of keyboards come with that key anymore. ;-)

Seriously, the above does work but of course requires manual intervention
and some "retraining" if you've gotten used to just typing away. :-)
Another technique (again requiring manual intervention) that seems to
work for me with Thunderbird is the "Rewrap" function under "Edit".  If
you select the block of text and then "Rewrap", it will reformat the
message to the number of characters in a line that you specified (72 in
yours and the default case).  This has it's flaws when rewrapping quoted
text, which is what I use it for, but in my quick test now worked great
on the text I typed in.

I'm not sure why the Thunderbird automatic line wrapping gets
short-circuited or what's responsible for it. Looking at the raw text in
the archives, it's clear that both you and I are sending messages with
the format=flowed tag on so clearly that's not the key factor, though
finding the switch that turns that off in the bowels of the Thunderbird
preferences might (should) help.

Holliston, MA 01746