Re: perl.exe: fatal error on Vista

See http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

>> Tim McDaniel schrieb:

>> > Reini must have meant the "tee" command.  It's intended to be a
>> > T-joint, metaphorically: it copies all its input to the filename
>> > argument and also to its standard output.  It's most commonly used to
>> > saving output into a log file while also monitoring it as it is
>> > generated, as intended here.
>> >

>>  Sorry. tee is what I meant of course.
>>  I'm obviously doing too much perl tie'ng lately.
>>
>>  The error is most likely a running cygwin service.
>>  But since cygcheck was run from cmd.exe, not from bash, and
>> C:\Tools\Cygwin\bin not in the path we cannot tell for sure.
>>
>>  For the disturbing cygcheck message "Windows Longhorn/Vista (not yet
>> supported!) Ver 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1" only Corinna can tell.
>>  AFAIK it should work ok.
>>  But I haven't tested it on Vista, as I have no Vista nowhere.
>
> Thanks all responses. I can ensure you there were only two processes
> ps and ash as I reboot the machine before doing ash rebaseall. Anyway,
> I've tried again to call rebaseall | tee rebaseall.log, then run
> cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.log in DOS terminal. Please see attached
> all files.

Don't use tee as Dave explained.
You will miss the two tee.exe dependent dll's then: cygintl-8.dll and
cygiconv-2.dll

Are there any cygwin services? I see none, but rebaseall complains.
Can you post the output of the process test within ash please.
Before you did it with cmd.exe

> C:\Cygwin\Tools\bin\ash
$ ./grep -E -i -v '/ash(.exe)?$' /proc/[0-9]*/exename

> Will the Vista a problem as you mentioned above?
> Windows Longhorn/Vista (not yet supported!) Ver 6.0 Build 6001 Service Pack 1

Not for perl and fork, but for running rebaseall probably.
And for the perl rebase baselevel I provided in the perl package.
Vista dll's seem to occupy much more space than I tought.

Can someone with Vista please try a rebaseall? I'd need the
last base address then, that I can prepare better rebased perl dll's.

As workaround please try the following within bash. But I (and Jason)
really want to know why this this simple grep test fails for you.

# For perl I rebased from 0x50000000 upwards.
# Normally it goes for all cygwin dlls from 0x70000000 downwards.
# Since we have no Vista result what is the last base, maybe its
# already below 0x50000000 for some conflicting dll, we try it lower
# And I don't know how far upwards the Vista dll go.

echo /bin/cygperl5_10.dll > /tmp/rebase.lst
find /usr/lib/perl5 -name \*.dll >> /tmp/rebase.lst
rebase -v -b 0x480000000 -o 0x10000 -T /tmp/rebase.lst

--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/ http://murbreak.at/