Re: Anyone want to be the "expect" package maintainer?

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 01:11:38PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Volker's recent email about packages which still use /usr/{info,man}
>reminded me about "expect".
>
>I haven't updated the expect package in many years.  It used to be based
>on a hacked version of expect from the sourceware.org src repository but
>that version has disappeared.  I asked the person responsible for the
>disappearance if they would like to become the new package maintainer
>for Cygwin and they said yes but that never materialized.
>
>The definitive sources for expect are here: http://expect.nist.gov/ .
>
>I don't know if expect will work well with cygwin or not.  I can dig out
>the patches that were added (some by me when dinosaurs still prowled the
>earth) if anyone is interested in rolling a new package.
>
>This is, of course, compounded by the problems of the non-cygwin
>specific versions of tcl which expect relies upon.  The whole tcl/tk
>situation with cygwin is a bit of a mess.  In theory, I guess there
>is no reason why expect couldn't just rely on whatever tcl*.dll is
>installed in /usr/bin.
>
>Please send email to the cygwin list if you're interested so that this
>can be coordinated.

Btw, please don't take the above email as a request for expect love
stories or horror stories.  I don't care if you use it, love it, hate
it, don't know what it is, have always wanted to learn it, or have named
your first born after it.

I'm just looking for a volunteer here, nothing more.

cgf