Re: File permissions not rx for group in /bin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Aug 17 23:07, Jim Kleckner wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Jim Kleckner wrote:
I've read through the various permission documents
to find the explanation and tried Google without
figuring this one out.  Hopefully it is very simple.

I have an old cygwin install that I was upgrading
to the latest 1.5.  I find that the files in /bin
are mode 700 rather than 750 on my other installations.
The setup.exe is set to "All Users" although perhaps
some time in the dark past it might not have been.

This means that users other than the one installing
cygwin can't use it. Is there some magic to make that
work properly?
Did you try "chmod 750 /bin"?
Uh, yeah.

chmod 750 /bin/* works at that moment, but any subsequent
installs/reinstalls cause reversion to 700. So it is like swimming upstream.

Larry asked "Did you try "chmod 750 /bin"?"

Larry did not ask "Did you try "chmod 750 /bin/*"?

I have tried that and /bin does remain 750 but the /bin/* reverts to 700 on a reinstall. (Presumably because /bin doesn't get removed whereas /bin/* do).

Eventually it gets tiring. getfacl.exe doesn't reveal anything particularly
enlightening.

It must be some weird inheritance of permissions thing in
Windows that doesn't exist on POSIX. Quite a mystery though.

Setup doesn't know (yet) of real POSIX permissions. It only uses the
Windows inheritance rules for permissions. If you want POSIX
permissions automatically you have to make sure the parent dir has the
right set of permissions in its ACL. I'm planning to add real
POSIX permission handling to setup for Cygwin 1.7, but it might not
be implemented soon.

NTFS has some truly complicated inheritance rules that can muck things up. I suspect that is what is happening but their tools don't make it easy to see what is going on.