Re: Subversion 1.5.1 on Cygwin: Aborting because "Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8'": Subversion problem, or generic Cygwin installation problem?

Hello David,

* On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 06:38:16PM -0700 David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 8/15/2008 4:29 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
[...]
> Subversion for Cygwin uses apr or aprutil to do the conversion to UTF-8,
> and those libraries don't support UTF conversion under Cygwin. I think
> this is because Cygwin itself does not support it, although I'm not sure.

Thanks for the explanation.

>> The worst thing of this: Subversion completely aborts after this
>> (ignoring this one file would be a much better option for me...)
>
> That is the stock behavior for subversion when the conversion fails. I'm
> not going to change that for Cygwin.

Yes, I know. This was not meant as a wish for you to change it, just a
description of the current status.

>> This does not happen if I use a non-cygwin (command-line) Subversion, or
>> if I use TortoiseSVN. That's the reason why I write this mail here, and
>> not on a Subversion list.
>
> Windows supports the conversion using Windows APIs, it's just not
> supported through Cygwin.

Ok; thus, for this specific project, I will stay with the "native" SVN.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Spiro.

--