Re: cygwin/mysql entering password, some characters plain text

William Finn-2 wrote:

> I just freshly installed cygwin along with a variety of other things. When
> attempting to connect to mysql from within a cygwin bash shell, it goes
> something like this:
>
> [wfinn@wfinn3:~] $ mysql -uroot -p
> Enter password: **ldk*j****vjl*
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
> [wfinn@wfinn3:~] $ ldkjvjl
> bash: ldkjvjl: command not found
>
> When typing my password (slowly, quickly, whatever), some of the
> characters show up in plain text and apparently are not sent as part of
> the password.  If I try to type anything on the prompt after attempting to
> connect, it first prints all of those characters.
>
> I tried reinstalling all the base modules for cygwin, same effect. The
> windows command prompt has no problems. Has anybody encountered something
> like this before?

Yes, I get this as well. Sometimes on the first attempt it doesn't happen,
but then on the second execution of the mysql command it does.

I had never before seen mixed *'s and characters, but seeing your note here
I tried holding down a single key and saw mixed for the first time. I did
this a couple of times and then I was able to type in the whole password
with getting any non-hidden char's mixed in.

This has plagued me for a long while (years), and it also happens when I SSH
into my XP box.

-Jaz