Re: No bash.exe in bin after "successful" installation

Monwhea Jeng wrote:
Hi,

I'm installing cygwin from downloaded files on my work
computers (one running a fresh installation of Windows
Vista, and the other running Windows Server 2003).
I've downloaded all files for installing everything
(not just the defaults). Setup claims a successful
setup, and the setup.log.full files reports no errors.
However, when I click on the cygwin icon, a window
opens and closes very quickly. When I open up a
Windows command prompt, and run cygwin.bat from the
command line, it tells me that 'bash' is not
recognized as a command. And indeed, when I go to the
bin directory, I see no bash.exe (although there are a
host of other executables there). I didn't find this
problem discussed on the mailing archives or Google
groups (although I note that
reports a problem with the same symptoms).

What does the 'cygcheck' output look like? Does 'setup.log' say anything useful?

Incidentally, I don't know if this could be related,
but when I run setup.exe at work and select "Install
from Internet," the list of download sites comes up
empty, and entering URL's by hand doesn't work. This
is presumably (?) an unrelated issue, and I'm
installing from files that I downloaded at home. I've
asked, and there is nothing at my workplace designed
to block cygwin from running.

Are you working through a proxy server? How do you access the Internet through IE, for example? Does choosing "Use IE5 Settings" or "Use HTTP/FTP Proxy" rather than the default "Direction Connection" make any difference?

Holliston, MA 01746