Re: Cygwin 1.7 on a FLASH Drive

* Larry Hall (Cygwin) (Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:39:11 -0400)
> Ralph Hempel wrote:
> > Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> >> Why is that?
> >
> > Creating, wand writing files is much slower on a FLASH
> > drive than on a hard disk. Not a big problem for a few
> > files here and there, but if I'm compiling gcc and binutils for
> > cross compiling to an ARM (for example) it might be MUCH
> > slower.
>
> How is it hooked up to your system?  Generally speaking, you should
> get better performance from flash memory than disks unless something
> is getting in the way.

He's not talking about flash memory but about flash drive. Sure that is
much slower. All the incantations of make/gcc/bash whatever have to come
from the flash drive. There's no way around that but at least you can
make sure that you don't write to the flash drive by compiling in %
userprofile% for instance.

Thorsten