Re: SSH and reattaching screen

> Is there a known problem with Cygwin's SSH and trying to reattach to
> screen sessions?  This seems to be a random occurrence but while
> trying to reattach to a screen session screen will hang indefinitely.
> I'm using ssh on a Mac OS X 10.5.4 system to ssh into a Windows 2003
> Cygwin installation.  Using a bash alias ( alias sshhs='ssh -t
> domain.com '\''screen -xDr session || screen -S session bash '\''' )
> to connect and try to reattach to a session named session and if that
> fails create a new screen session called session.  I've seen this hang
> occur from accedently closing a Terminal window to telling ssh to
> close connection ( etner ~  . ).  It is not a timed based problem
> because I've let sessions sit for days that I could reattach to and
> sessions that were disconnected for a second that would hang.  Also
> something to take note, options like -list or -wipe will also hang
> screen.  So for instance if screen is hanging I can ssh in normally
> and try to do screen -list or screen -wipe and that screen will hang.
> The solution to the problem currently is to ssh or Remote Desktop into
> the machine and kill the hanging screen PID.  Is there something
> fundmently wrong that I'm doing with ssh or screen that's causing this
> in Cygwin? Thanks.

Hi Derek.  I haven't heard of this particular problem before, where the reattach
hangs.  In the past screen had frequent problems reattaching in Cygwin, but in
all the cases I'm aware of the session was unreachable, i.e. it was listed but
the socket was dead so screen wouldn't let you reattach at all.

The reattachment problems are mostly solved in the current version of screen in
Cygwin AFAIK.  I use it every day and I have only occasional problems
reattaching-- not frequent and nothing I've ever been able to pin down. However,
I'm using a console window, not logging in via ssh.  Not sure how much
difference that makes.

Last year IIRC, one person reported that he couldn't reattach, and he was also
using ssh.  In his case, I believe that at least part of the problem had to do
with bad permissions on the socket files, in /tmp/uscreens.

HTH,
Andrew.