Re: SSH and reattaching screen

alias sshhs='ssh -t domain.com '\''screen -DRR session || screen -S
session bash '\'''

-DRR seemed to fix the problem
I don't like using -DRR because I don't really know what it means "Do
whatever it takes."  Is it creating some kinda memory leak that -Dr
wasn't?
We'll see how long DRR works

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Andrew Schulman
<schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov> wrote:
>> Is there a known problem with Cygwin's SSH and trying to reattach to
>> screen sessions?  This seems to be a random occurrence but while
>> trying to reattach to a screen session screen will hang indefinitely.
>> I'm using ssh on a Mac OS X 10.5.4 system to ssh into a Windows 2003
>> Cygwin installation.  Using a bash alias ( alias sshhs='ssh -t
>> domain.com '\''screen -xDr session || screen -S session bash '\''' )
>> to connect and try to reattach to a session named session and if that
>> fails create a new screen session called session.  I've seen this hang
>> occur from accedently closing a Terminal window to telling ssh to
>> close connection ( etner ~  . ).  It is not a timed based problem
>> because I've let sessions sit for days that I could reattach to and
>> sessions that were disconnected for a second that would hang.  Also
>> something to take note, options like -list or -wipe will also hang
>> screen.  So for instance if screen is hanging I can ssh in normally
>> and try to do screen -list or screen -wipe and that screen will hang.
>> The solution to the problem currently is to ssh or Remote Desktop into
>> the machine and kill the hanging screen PID.  Is there something
>> fundmently wrong that I'm doing with ssh or screen that's causing this
>> in Cygwin? Thanks.
>
> Hi Derek.  I haven't heard of this particular problem before, where the reattach
> hangs.  In the past screen had frequent problems reattaching in Cygwin, but in
> all the cases I'm aware of the session was unreachable, i.e. it was listed but
> the socket was dead so screen wouldn't let you reattach at all.
>
> The reattachment problems are mostly solved in the current version of screen in
> Cygwin AFAIK.  I use it every day and I have only occasional problems
> reattaching-- not frequent and nothing I've ever been able to pin down. However,
> I'm using a console window, not logging in via ssh.  Not sure how much
> difference that makes.
>
> Last year IIRC, one person reported that he couldn't reattach, and he was also
> using ssh.  In his case, I believe that at least part of the problem had to do
> with bad permissions on the socket files, in /tmp/uscreens.
>
> HTH,
> Andrew.
>

> --

Derek Schrock