Re: Having trouble with syslog-ng using lots of CPU

Grav Yam wrote:

> Even when nothing else is happening, and nothing is being logged, the
> syslog-ng service is consistently using up 50% of my cpu under a
> win2k host.
>
> I've looked though the mailing list archives and also googled around
> a lot looking for a solution, but no one else seems to really have
> this problem. Has anyone there heard of anything like it?

You didn't look at this list archive, where I reported this problem long
ago, and to the syslog-ng list, where somebody reported it on Linux,
also long ago.  By long ago I mean 3 or 4 versions back, but the problem
is still there.

Only workaround: restart syslog-ng.

The problem for me only happens at boot time and seldom (about once a
month = 1/30 boots).  Syslog-ng goes to 100% CPU and still works if you
test it but no other processes can do much, and those with lowered
priority, like exim, can't do anything.

I've also had another server process do the same, only once, I can't
remember which one; the point is perhaps there's something else causing
the problem, not syslog-ng.
--
René Berber