Re: Cygwin compiler and linker options

On 08/22/2008, John Emmas wrote:
Whilst I only signed up to this mailing list a couple of days ago, I can
naturally understand your frustration if this topic ( -mno-cygwin) is
dropping up over & over again and (apparently) being widely misunderstood.
What I don't accept is that you have any right to castigate people for not
understanding something which has clearly never been explained particularly
well.  Why am I arrogant enough to believe that it's never been explained
very well?

I wouldn't take it too personally. After all, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM>. ;-) The fact that you found one message in the email archives that didn't completely clarify for you what "-mno-cygwin" did doesn't say that much except that the post was not exhaustive in its description. This switch's existence has a long history and was created for a particular use, to build 'setup.exe' back in the good old days. It has taken on a life of its own since then and has really gone beyond the bounds of what's needed. You can get the same thing from using Mingw (mingw.org) or building a cross-compiler from Cygwin if you prefer Cygwin's environment. And we've been recommending that for years to people enquiring about how to target native Windows. We're moving in the direction to solidly support that. In the meantime, not having "-mno-cygwin" documented somewhere helps discourage its use. You'd be hard pressed to find it mentioned somewhere on the Cygwin site beyond the email archives. So if people are confused about its usage, can't figure it out for themselves by looking at the archives, etc., then generally they ask here about how to use it, similar to the way that you did. And when they do, we discourage them from using it. ;-)

Generally, this list encourages you to do your homework and the more, the
better.  You certainly did some of yours.  You just didn't get far enough.
And you drew some conclusions about what you found without a good basis.  So
you got chastized for that.  Well, live and learn.  I wouldn't loose any
sleep over it. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746