Re: man: cygwin 1.7.0 and special filename chars

"Yaakov (Cygwin Ports)" wrote:

> It's not a case of using the same workaround.  With 1.5, the make
> manifypods target would first build the PODs, then create the manpages,
> and would fail when trying to create a manpage containing '::' (as it
> did not use a managed mount).  gtk2-perl.cygclass would then catch the
> error, and then proceed to use a similar procedure to generate the
> manpages with a '.' instead.
>
> With 1.7, there is no such issue; make manifypods builds OOTB.  So any
> such workaround would have to be caught in the cygport postinstall
> stage, maybe in __prepman().  But I'm not sure that it would be at all
> necessary.

Oh.  I see.  That's unfortunate.  But I don't understand something: I'm
looking at the documentation for ExtUtils::MM_Cygwin which claims to
contain platform-specific overrides for ExtUtils::MakeMaker, one of
which is replace_manpage_separator that is documented as:

     replaces strings '::' with '.' in MAN*POD man page names

It seems like this issue has already been considered and solved
upstream.  Why does this not kick in?

> Really?  I thought that was the rule for case-sensitivity, not illegal
> chars:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-08/msg00079.html

Well yes, case-sensitivity also has similar set of restrictions.  But
the support for illegal chars is implemented by mapping them into a
Unicode private use area.  FAT is codepage-based and doesn't support
Unicode so I don't see how this could work.

Brian