Re: End of support for 9x

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 03:56:04PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 25 08:34, Terry Dabbs wrote:
>>It is a pity; I have applications utilizing cygwin on Windows 93 and
>>95.  This is not a situation where I 'insist on using unsupported
>>software', but where a vendor has written applications I must interface
>>with that were written for those platforms and they will not upgrade,
>>for reasons of their own.  I hope there will be some spot out there
>>that will keep the last compatible versions available.
>
>It's fixed decided that we keep the entire 1.5.25 based net distro
>around for those user who are still running Cygwin on Windows 9x or
>users having very specific needs.

I don't remember deciding this.  I have very mixed feelings about
keeping two different versions around.  It adds overhead to
sourceware.org (and to me) and it is going to generate confusion here.

Maybe we should find an off-site person to host the unchanging 1.5.25
release if people really want to use it.  The one thing that is missing
amongst all of the "It's a pity" talk is someone actually volunteering
to do something to help.