Re: End of support for 9x

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 05:55:18PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Aug 25 17:37, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >
>> > I don't remember deciding this.  I have very mixed feelings about
>> > keeping two different versions around.  It adds overhead to
>> > sourceware.org (and to me) and it is going to generate confusion here.
>>
>> It has been discussed and decided on cygwin-developers in this thread
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2007-02/msg00000.html
>> [...]
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2007-02/msg00054.html ff.
>>
>> I don't see the overhead for sourceware and you given that sourceware
>> has enough disk space and nothing new will occur in the 1.5.25 based
>> distro.  Setup.exe will choose the distro based on the OS of the client
>> machine and setup.ini for the 1.5.25 distro does not have to be
>> regenerated anymore.  As usual, we will have to live with a certain
>> amount of confusion anyway.
>
>Don't get me wrong, probably it isn't such a bad idea to put the 1.5.25
>distro to an external site at one point.  But I think we should keep the
>1.5.25 distro on sourceware at least for some time until we're confident
>that 1.7.x is so stable that nobody actually needs a fallback.

That sounds right to me.  Apparently my thinking on this issue has
"evolved" (which is why I could never be a politician).  I've seen so
many issues between 1.5.x and 1.7.x that I think the faster we can move
to 1.7.x once it's switched over the better.

However, IMO, you're right.  It would be naive to think that 1.7.x would
be problem free and forcing people to go elsewhere for a copy of Cygwin
that works would not be a good idea.

If Jason is willing to start mirroring the 1.5.25 repository as soon as
we start the cut-over to 1.7.x then maybe eventually we can
transparently pull the plug.

OTOH, if the 1.5.25 repository is truly static then I don't mind leaving
it on sourceware either.  I just envision problems that will require
package updates and that means infrastructure to keep setup.ini
up-to-date.  I'd rather just have that all handled by someone who cares
about this stuff and that's definitely not me.

cgf