A newbie question about 3rd party libraries.

Hi guys,

I noticed that the setup package for Cygwin includes (optionally) lots of
3rd party libraries.  For example, in the audio section, there are libraries
for flac, libogg. libesound etc. This raises a few obvious questions:-

1)  Am I right in assuming that these are supplied as pre-compiled binaries
with associated header files?

2)  Is the standard extension ".la" ('Cygwin\lib' seems to contain a lot of
".la" files).

3)  What about 'unavailable' libraries (for example libsndfile).  Is it
worth trying to download and build them myself - or have they been left out
deliberately for other reasons (e.g. incompatibility)?

Obviously, Cygwin is a work in progress so it's perfectly understandable
that the newest libraries might not have been ported yet.  But if a
library's been around for a long time (like libsndfile) and still isn't
included, is it best to assume there's a good reason for it - such as
somebody already realised that it wouldn't be compatible?

Thanks

John