Re: Probably stupid make question

Phil Smith wrote:

> We're perverting CMake and Cygwin make to use a cross-compiler for z/OS (IBM mainframe). We've beaten it mostly into submission, but are hitting an issue with definitions being passed.  Cygwin make seems to be passing them in the format:
>         -Dvarname value
> rather than:
>         -Dvarname=value
> and the cross-compiler doesn't like that much. Some discussion with more *IX-savvy friends suggests that the "blank" format is older, and is deprecated due to ambiguity (does "-Dvarname abc.c xyz.c" mean "set varname to abc.c and compile xyz.c", or "set varname to 1 and compile abc.c and xyz.c"?).

I think you're going to have to be more specific, such as providing a
testcase that reproduces the problem.  This must be due to some aspect
of cmake, because there's nothing in plain make (AFAIK) that has
anything to do with how -D or any other parameter is passed to any tool
-- make executes commands exactly as written in the Makefile, no more no
less.

Brian