Re: 1.5.25: Can't Change User's Home Dir [SOLVED]

Richard Plana wrote:

That's exactly what I read in the FAQ, but my system doesn't seem to
be
following that behavior.

1) Running "set HOME" in CMD.EXE gives the ff.:

HOMEDRIVE=H:
HOMEPATH=\
HOMESHARE=\\essrv07\rplana$

2) /etc/passwd contains a Home entry that's prefixed with
"/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/"

Neither seem to be the behavior that I'm getting. Everytime I log
on, I
end up with a home dir of "/home/$LOGNAME" and I don't know anymore
where that is coming from nor how to change it.

Ah, your home is a network drive.  You're not accessing it with 'ssh'
are you?  You might want to check the permissions this directory has
(getfacl) and whether you can access the directory from the shell
you've
opened.

You may not want to use a remote home directory anyway. It's going to
be
slower.

Well, I actually want to use a local partition for my home drive, but instead of <CYGWIN>/home/<user>, I want to use /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/<user>. The network "home" drive is something that Windows sets but I'm totally ignoring. I'm only including that as the FAQ discusses it.

So in summary,

1) I want my user's home dir to be /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\
Settings/<user>.

2) /etc/passwd has the correct entry for it.

3) I can "cd" into that directory

4) I am using ...

My spologies. I was going to write that I use cygwin's terminal emulator
to start the shell, but that wasn't exactly right (as opposed to SSH'ing
to it). In actuality, I was using Poderosa to start my cygwin session
and apparently you can overwrite the choice of home directory when
connecting to a cygwin session. In Poderosa, it was configured to
connect to "/home/myuser". I changed that config to
"/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/myuser" and now I'm happily logged
in properly.

Good to know.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746