From: Eric Blake
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Probably stupid make question

                    ^^^^
Oops - raw email address.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

Oops - top-posting.  http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

> This is all an argument for using Cygwin the way it was supposed to be
> used - there are no .bat files on UNIX.  Use shell scripts instead.

According to Phil Smith on 8/30/2008 2:35 PM:
> Will shell scripts get
>
>  -Dsomething=c:/Documents and Settings/whatever
>
> as one argument, or three?

You missed the point.  c:/ anything is NOT posix-y.  Rather, you should be
worried whether:

 '-Dsomething=/cygdrive/c/documents and settings/whatever'

is one or three arguments (one if it is quoted correctly, three if it is
not).  You're better off not even trying to use drive letters with a colon
when emulating posix.