RE: is sddt.exe part of the cygwin installer? (possible corruption of gatech mirror)

Eric Freudenthal wrote on 31 August 2008 23:30:

> I just installed cygwin under vista from a http mirror on
> gtlab.gatech.edu.  I noticed that an process named sddt.exe gobbled
> many cycles during the installation.  afterwards, I could neither find
> a file by this name, nor could find it in the cygwin tars.  I'd love
> to know that sddt was supposed to run at that time, and would probably
> be better off knowing if it was not.

  Bad news I'm afraid.  There's nothing called "sddt.exe" in any cygwin
package (see http://cygwin.com/packages/ where you can search for it), and
google finds a few places referring to it as malware.  You'd better assume the
worst.

  I don't *think* the gatech mirror is corrupt; the signatures on the setup
index files verify ok.  However, if it did come from there, it'd likely still
be inside one of the tarballs in your local package dir; you might want to
rename the existing one safely out of the way and try reinstalling from a
different mirror.

  If you can find the sddt.exe file, try submitting it to the Jotti or
Virustotal online scanning services and see what they say.  Sysinternals'
Autorun and ProcessExplorer will come in handy here... but now we're getting
OT.

    cheers,
      DaveK