Re: setup.exe won't update

Gary Johnson wrote:
I have Cygwin installed on three PCs running Windows XP. I run setup.exe periodically on all of them to keep the packages up to date. When I did this last, a few days ago, setup.exe updated the openssl, grep and vim packages on two of the machines but the third reported that there was "Nothing to Install/Update". That third machine still has the 2.5.1a-4 version of grep while the other machines updated grep to 2.5.3-1, so I know at least that package is out of date. I tried again this morning with the same results.

All three machines are running setup.exe version 2.573.2.3. I regularly use either ftp://cygwin.osuosl.org or ftp://mirrors.kernel.org as a download site for all three machines. I tried both on the problematic machine with the same results. I've had Cygwin installed for a couple of years on this machine with no problems.

The only thing I can think of that has changed on that machine is that I recently bought an HP Media Vault 2120 and installed the bundled NTI Shadow backup software. I thought I had successfully run setup.exe since then, but I'm not sure. I have the Norton Internet Security suite on that machine as well, and while I haven't changed anything on it myself, it does regularly update itself.

I've attached the output of cygcheck -srv.

What can I do to get this setup.exe to find new packages again?

Perhaps it did but you didn't stop your services before upgrading? If so, you'll need to reboot. Otherwise, try uninstalling Norton and see if that helps.

Holliston, MA 01746