Re: cygwin-1.7: mv appends .exe extension to .bat and .com files

Eric Blake wrote:

According to Corinna Vinschen on 10/9/2008 7:05 AM:
Install seems to strip the .exe extension in the process of copying
files to the destination directory.
Install *copies* files.  The resulting filename is not under control of
Cygwin but exclusively under control of the copying application.  This
is different from rename and link which are OS functions and thus
implemented in Cygwin.

What this really means is that I need to add another cygwin-specific patch in coreutils to make install keep track of .exe magic - if the user specified a file without the suffix, but the real file has the suffix, then the target should be created with the suffix (no different than some of the .exe magic already in mv and cp).

Exactly. What happens now is that the .exe extension is simply stripped off during the copy.

As I noted before, the Cygwin User's Guide currently implies that
install will fail in this scenario.

The exe magic seems to be a rich source of headaches. I'm glad somebody
smarter than me is looking after it :-)

Ralph

PS. Sorry for hijacking (not too far) this thread.