Re: Problem to open big selfextracting Zip files from bash - starting from scratch :-)

Phil Betts schrieb:
Dirk Napierala wrote on Thursday, October 09, 2008 10:51 AM::

If I missed feedback to the thread below I have to apologize.
Otherwise I would like to recall this (my last post)again

Please don't keep reposting the same message. You can google the
mailing list archives if you think you may have missed a response.
If you haven't, then consider that maybe no-one has anything useful to post, or perhaps no-one feels inclined to help you any more.
I just did that because I was still seeking for help, and had the feeling that I do not missed something
and just did not get a reply to my last post.
It's your problem, yet you haven't exactly gone out of your way to help anyone get to the root of the problem. Simply rebutting all workaround suggestions with "can't do - corporate policy" has left me feeling that you're not really interested in solving your problem unless it means the SFX magically starts working.
I can only repeat that this has nothing to do with that I´m not filled up with good will to assist you guys.
I did it as far as I could within my corp. restrictions and I post my findings.
I think you have to assume that the problem is intractable. E.g.
changes to cygwin1.dll may just require more memory than before,
and it would be unreasonable to assume that an ill-conceived SFX
would inspire anyone to undo those changes. If this is the case, then the SFX is broken, not cygwin1.dll. You therefore need to
consider the alternatives.

I had prepared an email with a couple of suggestions for you to try, but I didn't bother sending it because of your attitude
towards the other responses. I suspect the rest of the list have
also given up on you.
This never was my intend
Early on, you were asked to try some things that would have helped people to understand the cause of the problem but you were
so reluctant to even try them that you can't blame people when
they lose interest.

If the issue is as important as your persistence suggests, I think
you need to bang some heads at your workplace. If Oracle has
such tight policies that you are unable to do your job, then the policies are just plain dumb (but then, so is using a single, huge
SFX file).
You may understand that I'm not able to reply to this.........
If you really do want help from the list:

* Instead of just saying "can't do", tell us what you CAN do.
I will try everything what I can do. But I still have my restrictions .....
* How EXACTLY is the SFX is run?
The problem is reproducible when the sfx filed is called from the bash
like ./sfx-file.exe
* Does it use a fixed path?
If you mean that it is configured to extract automatically to a fixed places the anser is YES :-)

* Does it include the .exe extension?
Yes, the file called sfx-file.exe
I can make it available for you to test.
Please just reply to my corp. address and I can provide you with download details.
The file content is confidential.

IIRC you said the SFX is run from a bash script that you can't modify. Why not? If you can read the script, you can surely copy it and change the copy. If you can't do that, and you can't regenerate the SFX file which is clearly incompatible (for whatever
reason) with the latest cygwin DLL, you have a broken _system_, and
someone in your company who does have the authority to make changes
to that system needs to get involved.
Agree, If we reached that point we have to do that.

Phil