cygwin g++ strictness

When compiling things under cygwin I'm noticing that the compiler is very
strict about things like typedef'd variables.  For example if 'gint' is
typedef'd as int and 'int32' is also typedef'd as int I can't pass an int32
to a function that requires gint.  This means I'm having to put dozens of
casts all over the place.  Is there any way to avoid this?  e.g. a compiler
switch that would make the compiler a bit more lenient?

John