Re: find . -regex '.*js' -type f -exec md5sum '{}' \\; really slow!

Bartolomeo Nicolotti wrote:
but the command

find . -type f | xargs md5sum

has problems with blanks in the name of the files:
[snip examples]

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum

...tells find to output \0-separated lines instead of \n-separated lines, and tells xargs to expect \0-separated args instead of whitespace-seoarated args.

(That said, I've always rather wondered why xargs doesn't have a mode to expect \n-separated args. There is of course the problem that file names might also contain \n (maybe not on 'doze, but on POSIX filesystems they can), though for less typing it seems most xargs input tends to be line-delineated anyway.

--
Matthew
Is this thing on?