Re: Help needed: first time tried sshd and got stuck not far from the beginning...

stevench2000 wrote:

> Hi, good day.
>
> my systme is vista 32bit
> as Admin, I downloaded the sshd packages and installed them
> - opened cygwin bash as administrator
> - ran ssh-host-config -y and accepted overwriting to /etc/sshd_config and
> /etc/inetd.d/sshd-inetd when asked
> - ran ssh-user-config -y and used empty passphrase
> - checked permissions on both /var/empty and /var/log/sshd.log, both of
> them belongs to the sshd owner (syg_server) and only writable to its owner
> - enable port 22 in Windows firewall for passing through
> - ran net start ssh:
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
> The CYGWIN sshd service was started successfully.
>
> Everything seems okay at this point... but after that I cannot ssh to my
> localhost:
> $ ssh localhost -vvv
> OpenSSH_5.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008
> debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
> debug1: Connection established.
> debug1: identity file /home/Admin/.ssh/identity type 0
> debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/Admin/.ssh/id_rsa.
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug1: identity file /home/Admin/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
> debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /home/Admin/.ssh/id_dsa.
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> [...]
Hi Steve,

Did you really want ssh from your local Vista to your local Vista?
If yes, than the following pathes are a little different ;-)

Please go to your server and run "/usr/sbin/sshd -ddd -D"
Maybee your ssh-server say something about the reason.

You can also check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config which authentications are
allowed.
Especially
RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes
PasswordAuthentication yes (which seems to be set "no" in your
configuration?)
Did you have public/private key in /home/Admin/.ssh?
Did you put your public key into /home/Admin/.ssh/authorized_keys?

good luck
Matthias
--
Don't panic