How to get aspell to display cp1252?

I'm using the latest aspell, rxvt, bash, and cygwin1.dll on WinXP Pro SP3...

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 WXP-GKDC531 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-06-12 19:34 i686 Cygwin

$ aspell -v
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.5)

$ cat .inputrc
set convert-meta off
set input-meta on
set output-meta on
set completion-ignore-case on
"\e[3~": delete-char
"\e[1~": beginning-of-line
"\e[4~": end-of-line
"\e[H": beginning-of-line
"\e[F": end-of-line
"\e[7~": beginning-of-line
"\e[8~": end-of-line

$ cat ~/.Xdefaults
Rxvt*foreground: #DADA00
Rxvt*font: "DejaVu Sans Mono-29"
Rxvt*boldfont: "DejaVu Sans Mono Bold-29"
Rxvt*backgroundPixmap: /usr/share/pixmaps/rxvt-dark-stripes.xpm
Rxvt*visualBell: True
Rxvt*loginShell: True
Rxvt.backspacekey: ^H
Rxvt*termName: rxvt-cygwin-native
Rxvt*saveLines: 500
Rxvt*geometry: 80x25
Rxvt*meta8: True

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about codepages and character sets, but it appears that rxvt/bash is set on my boxen to cp1252 by default. I gather this because, if a file containing characters in the range of 0x80-0x9f (128-159) is dumped to the tty with `cat', or opened with a text utility (less, JOE [Joe's Own Editor]) that is told not to convert or filter those characters, they display as defined in cp1252.

Aspell, however, renders them as `~ctrlchar'. Apparently, aspell thinks it is to display in ISO-8859-1, and that 0x80-0x9f are C1 control characters. According to the aspell info file:

"...the document will be displayed in the encoding defined by the current locale. This encoding does not necessarily have to be the same encoding that the document is in. This means that it is possible to check an 8-bit encoding such as ISO-8859-1 on an UTF-8 terminal. To do so simply set the `encoding' option to `iso-8859-1'."

This works just as advertised: setting `--encoding=cp1252' (which aspell accepts just fine) has no effect on how the document is displayed. I also tried setting `CYGWIN=codepage:1252' with no joy (it is not clear from the user's guide I have whether or not the only two options that `codepage:' will accept are `ansi' and `oem').

Any ideas for how to tell aspell which encoding to use to display documents? Perhaps something to do with setting the locale, which I understand from reading in the list archives is something of a problem in Cygwin?

Thanks,

Jeff