Re: POP Rmail in Emacs

On 12/19/2008 3:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I guess this is an ample opportunity to call for volunteers to come on
board and help maintaining the Cygwin build of Emacs.  As of now, the
Cygwin build has some known ``stability issues'' (read: it sometimes
crashes during the build or in routine operation), and there's no one
on the Emacs development team who has enough knowledge and/or time to
fix these Cygwin-specific problems.

For the record, let me point out that it's been possible for several months to build a stable emacs for cygwin using gcc-4. This was first announced on this list by Angelo Graziosi [1]. He sent me the instructions, and I had no problem replicating the build. (I'm not sure why the emacs maintainer hasn't done this, but maybe the issue is that cygwin's gcc-4 is still considered experimental and not suitable for official cygwin packages.)

That's the good news. The bad news is that some work still needs to be done to make emacs usable under the soon-to-be-released cygwin 1.7 [2,3].

Ken

[1] http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-09/msg00330.html
[2] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-12/msg00329.html
[3] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-12/msg00153.html